Cystic acne is a specific form of acne that is characterized by the following conditions:
1. Deep infections that are cyst-like and can become large in the worst cases.
2. These infections do not emit or discharge waste material and they do not rise to the surface of the skin.
3. There is a very slow healing process with cystic acne and once healed, scarring is very likely.
What are the common medications and treatments for cystic acne?
Cystic Acne can be alleviated by long-term treatment with topical medication like antibacterial cleansers, septicide cleansers, glycolic cleansers, glycolic exfoliators, gentle follicle exfoliators.
Antibacterial cleaners are good for most skin types. They try to control bacteria that causes acne and thus can eliminate acne in the long run.
Septicide cleansers are ideal for acne rosacea and for dry or sensitive skin types. This kind of medication functions as an anti-inflammatory agent.
Glycolic cleaners are used for oily kind of skin type with or without acne. It keeps the follicles clear of dirt and it also functions as a mild antibacterial against acne.
Follicle exfoliators are major factor in keeping follicles clear. They are effective in controlling acne and undesirable bacteria which may cause acne.
Gentle follicle exfoliators are ideal for acne rosacea and for dry to sensitive types of skin. They help keep the follicles of the skin clear and keep away bacteria which may cause acne.
Following are additional methods that may be successful in controlling cystic acne.
More treatment methods for cystic acne
1. Draining of the lesions if they are severe, and use of antibiotics to prevent infection and complications.
2. Injection with cortisone of the cysts to decrease inflammation.
3. Use of accutane or isotretonoin, to be used with caution especially with pregnant women. Isotretonoin is an oral drug used twice daily for 15 to 20 weeks. It could reduce the size of oil glands thus causing less oil to be produced and decreasing the growth of bacteria on the skin.
4. Try AcnEase. A herbal remedy for acne, including cystic acne, which is non-irritating to the skin when used and does not have the side effects of accutane.
5. Try Proactiv Solution renewing cleanser, revitalizing toner and repairing lotion. Proactiv is a 3-step solution to acne. It is used to help erase cystic acne especially the scars.
6. Keep a balanced diet. A balanced diet will make sure that your skin is healthy and at its best condition. There is no better solution than having a healthy diet. This will assure the body of the nutrients it needs to be in excellent condition. Since the skin is a big part of the entire human body systems, it is necessary to nourish it with the right kinds of food to keep it healthy, strong and beautiful.
With these solutions, you will have a better chance of winning the battle against cystic acne. Just make sure the solution is right for you and do not forget to ask the dermatologist before you rush into anything.