Hair is the crowning glory of the body, and at the same time it is an indicator of the body’s overall health. Shiny, lustrous hair that are strong at the roots means that the person is healthy; while discolored, dull hair with split or weak ends indicate an internal disorder with the body. Hair itself is made of a protein called as keratin. It grows from pockets within the scalp of the head, known as follicles.
Though hair is a non-living part of the human body (at least because it has no nerves in it), it needs to be taken great care of. We already know how much care people are already taking of their hair. Even if you put your television on for half an hour, chances are that you will come across ten advertisements flaunting their hair-care products. But do these products really work?
In this article, some Ayurvedic herbal techniques of hair care are explained. The common problems with hair are falling hair, dull hair and dandruff. Let us see some simple methods of treating these problems.
Vitamin C is considered to be the best nutrient for the health of hair. That is why the best herb for hair is the Indian Gooseberry (Emblica officinalis), which is traditionally known as amalaki. Almost all Ayurvedic therapies for solving hair problems use amalaki in some form or the other.
(1) Treatments for Falling Hair
Hair may begin to fall due to some disease or due to dandruff. Stress is also related with hair-fall, and so is advancing age. In fact, the biggest worry of people as they age is that they will lose their beautiful hair. The following methods can take care of hair fall problems:-
1. Soak some amalaki (Indian gooseberries) powder in water overnight. In the morning, this powder will have softened. Press the soft powder in the water so that all the juices are exuded into it. Then add the juice of a lemon in the water. This is a very vitamin C rich solution. Wash your hair with this solution. Apply a lot of pressure, and apply the solution just as you do with a shampoo. This will not only stop the hair fall; it will also bring a lively sheen to the hair.
2. If the hair fall is a persistent problem, do not despair. Squeeze the juice of a lemon in a bowl and add a part of the root of a banyan tree into it. Use this to wash the hair. When the bath is over, apply coconut oil on the scalp. Regular use of this therapy for a few days will solve the problem of hair fall.
(2) Treatment for Dull Hair
Ayurveda has methods to provide dull hair with a lustrous and bouncy shine. The best of these methods are given below:-
1. Prepare a mixture of one kilo of amalaki juice, one kilo of pure ghee and quarter kilo of licorice. Cook these on a slow fire. When the liquid component dries up – but not the ghee – stop cooking and filter the contents into a bottle. Use this on the hair as you would use a conditioner. Your hair will get back its natural color and shine, without any side-effects.
2. Prepare a fine ground powder of Lauha choorna, Triphala and black soil. Put this mixture in sugarcane juice and let it age for a month. When the month is done, use this mixture as a paste to apply on the hair. Within a few days the hair will regain its color. This method works very well with hair that is getting discolored with age.
3. Exude the paste of amalaki, neem and henna in milk and apply it on the hair. Let is remain overnight. Wash the hair in the morning. Repeat this therapy for a week. The hair will get its color back, along with a great deal of softness.
(3) Treatment for Dandruff
Dandruff is the dead skin cells that are produced on the scalp. Due to vata dosha vitiation, this skin can be given out in a profuse quantity. When this happens, the dead cells dot the hair. This is what is commonly known as dandruff. Dandruff needs to be cured immediately since it can damage the hair completely and cause hair fall. Also, dandruff is considered to be a very embarrassing condition.
1. Mix some camphor in coconut oil. Use this oil for daily application on the scalp. The application should be done nicely, with the fingertips working at the hair roots in the scalp. The problem of dandruff will be solved in about fifteen days.
2. Apply lemon juice sweetened with sugar on the scalp. Then expose the hair to the sun’s heat for five to six hours. When this is done, wash the hair with soap. This is a difficult but definite method to solve the dandruff problem.
3. Prepare a mixture of lemon juice in coconut oil. Apply this mixture on the hair and massage it deep into the scalp. Do this regularly for a few days. It will reduce the dandruff and make the hair glossier.